Deep Orange Carrot Seeds Online
Carrot is a winter season vegetable grown for its roots. Most common varieties have a root length of 4 to 10 inches. We can grow carrots with carrot seeds in both pots and soil beds.
In India, mostly Carrot roots are consumed raw in salads and juice, added to cooked dishes & soups and, of course, as the popular Indian Dessert “Gajar Ka Halwa”.
Its leaves or Carrot Greens are also full of nutrition and are often added to salads, used as a garnishing in soups, etc.
Carrot Seeds Online from Shashi N Gautam Web Shop
We sell open pollinated (OP) Long Carrot seeds, which are also commonly called Desi Red Carrot Seeds.
In an ideal growing season, its root can grow up to a length of 10 to 12 inches.
You too can grow carrots in your vegetable garden using our Red Desi Carrot Seeds.
Carrot Seeds Price:
Carrot Seeds @ Rs.49 for a Pack of 100 Seeds
Ideal weather condition for growing carrot from seeds
Seeds to harvest time (crop duration):
It can take up to 3 to 4 months from seed sowing to harvesting.
Ideal temperature range for growing carrots:
Carrot needs warm weather for seed germination and colder climate for developing its roots.
- Ideal Seed Germination temperature ranges between 20 °C and 25 °C.
- Ideal temperature for formation of healthy roots ranges between 15ºC and 18ºC.
Best Month to sow Carrot seeds
Sow carrot seeds when the weather is still warm just before the start of winter.
- For North India, October and November are the best months to sow carrot seeds.
- For South India, Carrot seeds can be sown in August-September when the temperature is around 25°C. Though in October-November, keep the plants in the shade, away from harsh afternoon sun.
How to grow carrots from seeds?
Seed Germination Time
- Carrot seeds take longer to germinate. And not all seeds germinate at the same time giving the feeling that others have failed to germinate.
- At Ideal temperature of 21°C, Carrot seeds can take 7 to 21 days for germination.
- These can germinate within a temperature range of 10°C to 30°C, but will take more days than usual.
How to plant carrot seeds?
Plant seeds at a depth of ¼ inch.
In Soil Beds
- In soil beds, sow the seeds in rows.
- Keep a seed to seed distance of about 1 – 2 inch while sowing to compensate for failed germination.
- Once the saplings have reached a height of 2-3 inches, thin the saplings by removing the weaker ones, allowing a space of 3 to 4 inches between the remaining ones.
- Plant the seeds at a distance of about 1-2 inches from each other.
- Once the saplings have reached a height of about 2-3 inches, thin the saplings by removing the weaker ones and keep a gap of about 2-3 inches between the remaining saplings.
Be careful about not disturbing other saplings during the thinning process. You can hold the plant with your thumb and forefinger and then pull the sapling out in one go.
If the seeds have sprouted too close to each other, do not wait for them to reach a height of 2-3 inches. Remove excess shoots right away by cutting with a clean scissor at the base of their stem.
Pot Size for growing Carrot
Use a Grow Bag or Pot that is a few inches taller than the variety of Carrot you are growing.
Best soil mix for carrots
- For carrots, you will need a loose, crumbly and well-draining soil mix that has a higher percentage of potassium and phosphorus and is low in nitrogen content.
- You can take some old garden soil that in the past has been fertilised with organic matter like compost / Vermicomost but none has been freshly added to it.
- Check if it’s lightweight and has good drainage. If not, add 10 to 20% cocopeat and some big particle sand to it.
- Add a thin layer each of Neem Khali and Seaweed Extract Fertilizer to the topsoil to give it a boost of phosphorus, potassium and other micronutrients.
If soil is deficient in potassium, you can add a handful of wood ash to it.
Don’t add too much nitrogen rich fertilizer or compost to the soil mix, else the plant will use all its energy for producing leaves and will not produce any carrots.
Don’t use clay soil or any other soil that is too compact. the soil is too compact, carrots will not form, or even if they do, they will be misshapen and shorter in length.
How to fertilize carrot plants?
Add any potassium, phosphorus and micronutrient rich fertilizer to the topsoil after 45 days of sowing.
You can use the following ready to use organic fertilizer available on our web shop.
Use of Liquid Fertilizer like All In One Plant Liquid Fertilizer also ensures better sized carrots.
How to care for a carrot plant?
To prevent fungal, viral and bacterial diseases, Nematodes and damage from pest attacks, we recommend using organic neem insecticide and pesticide.
You can use the following organic insecticide & pesticide:
Neem Oil: Use weekly preventive Neem oil spray on leaves and spray it on soil too.
When to harvest carrots?
- Ideally, carrots are ready for harvest when its head (carrot root top) reaches its maximum width. Most varieties have an average of ½ to one inch head width.
- Another sign to harvest a carrot is when its head pops out of the soil.
But Carrots growing in containers may not reach their full potential of length and size. In such a case, just go ahead and harvest after 90 days.
- You can also harvest carrots at an earlier stage (after the first 30 to 40 days) once they are big enough to be eaten. Baby carrots are sweeter in taste and are much more nutritious than mature carrots.
If you want to harvest fresh juicy carrots that are full of flavour and have a longer shelf life:
- Water them regularly for a few days before you plan to harvest them to keep soil moist.
- Harvest them early in the morning.
Do you want to add the goodness of carrots to your meals?
We have the best carrot seeds available in India of the Open pollinated / Desi variety at our Web Shop. And you can get all needed information for growing and tricks for planting Carrot seeds above.
So, what are you waiting for? Start growing carrots in your kitchen garden today!