Turnip Seeds Hybrid / Shalgam Seeds – Purple Top White Globe
Turnip Purple top is a winter season vegetable grown for its bulbous roots and greens.
It can be easily grown directly in the ground or in pots using Turnip Seeds (Shalgam Beej in Hindi). Turnip is a quick growing vegetable and you can expect to harvest these in 5 weeks to two months time.
So, even if you only have a 2 month long winter, you can still easily grow turnips in your kitchen Garden.
And if you have been blessed with a longer cold to moderate weather season, you can keep sowing turnip seeds at 1 – 2 weeks intervals to get a continuous crop.
When to plant Turnip seeds?
- Turnips are a cold weather crop.
- and its growing temperature range is 10°C to 22°C
- Turnip are best grown at an ideal temperature of 21°C
How to Grow Turnips?
- Turnips are grown from seeds.
- Seeds are directly sown in pots or directly into the ground.
- In a 12 inch pot you can sow upto 6 to 8 seeds.
- Seeds are sown at a distance of approx. 4 to 6 inches and at a depth of half an inch.
- In the ground, seeds are sown in rows that are 24 inches apart.
Soil Mix for Turnips
- Mix 3 parts soil and 2 parts compost / vermicompost
- Spread a thin layer of Neem Khali and Seaweed Green on top soil and mix well.
It is advisable to prepare the soil mix a few weeks in advance, so that the nutrients are available when seeds are sown.
As turnip is a fast growing vegetable, you will not get a chance to fertilize it again. So, add your best fertilizer when you’re making the soil mix and sowing the seeds.
Health Benefits of Turnip
- Turnips are often thought of as belonging to the root family, but that’s not true. They belong to the family of cruciferous vegetables, just like broccoli, cabbage, kale, etc.
- A Turnip’s bulbous root is what’s usually consumed. It might be low in calories but packs a big punch when it comes to its nutritional value! It has a very high fiber content and is loaded with many important nutrients like vitamins K, A, C, E, and B, as well as minerals like manganese, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium, phosphorus and copper. It is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and proteins.
- Turnip greens are also edible and, in fact, are highly nutritious and very low in calories as well. These contain not only macro nutrients like proteins and carbs but also are a very rich source of micronutrients like Vitamin C, B9, A and K, and various minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and potassium.
- Adding turnip root and a cup of raw turnip greens to your diet every day can benefit your health greatly. It helps reduce anemia, promotes better skin, hair and bone health and might even help reduce the risk of cancer.
- Its high water and fibre content also helps in aiding proper digestion and promoting regular bowel movements
With such a high nutritional value and ease of growing, organic purple top white globe turnips are a must to grow in your vegetable garden.
If you are short on growing pots, you can check out the heavy-duty grow bags available at an economical price at our Web Shop.
Grow Bags for Plants 200 Microns
Buy Hybrid Turnip Seeds Pack of 50 Online at a Price of Rs49/- only from Shashi N Gautam web Shop.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can start Turnip seeds in cold weather. Ideal growing temperature is 21°C. Turnip can grow in temperature range of 10 to 22°C.
You can get turnip seeds in a easy way by placing an order at our web shop ” Shashi n Gautam”. We have turnip seeds on sale.
You can also save your own seeds. Turnip goes to flowering when it is allowed to grow in the second year, Wait for its seeds pod to get brown and dry. As soon as pods get dry, harvest it.
Turnip gets easily cross pollinated with similar vegetables like Chinese Cabbage / Chinese Mustard. So unless you take proper precaution to prevent cross-pollination, you cannot be sure of turnip seeds trueness.
Yes Turnip is grown from seeds.
At ideal germination temperature of 21°C turnip seeds can take from 4 to 14 days for germination. For temperatures below 10°C, seed germination will take longer.
Even in ideal temperature germination can fail if we do not maintain continuous moisture or seeds oxygen supply get cut because of over watering.
There are no reviews yet.