Green Lettuce – Variety Rapid Grand Is A Cold Weather Leafy Vegetable.
Can be used for Salads, Sandwiches etc.
Ideal temperature for growing : 15°C to 18°C.
Ideal soil temperature is between 5 °C to 24°C.
Seed Germination time 4 to 10 days in ideal soil conditions and weather condition.
If temperature are above 24° or lower than 5° then seed will fail to germinate.
Tip: Green Lettuce Rapid Grand can be germinated indoor if the temperature is less or more than ideal temperature. Its sapling can be hardened and transplanted outside later on when weather is favorable.
60 to 70 days from seed to harvest in ideal growing condition.
Sunlight required by Green Lettuce Rapid Grand
- Few hours of morning sun is enough for growing Green Lettuce Rapid Grand.
- Hot afternoon sunlight can make plant to go into flowering so they should be not be kept in afternoon sun during hot season.
How to grow Green Lettuce Rapid Grand
Green Lettuce Rapid Grand will grow well in a soil which can hold moisture and has good amount of vermicompost / compost mixed in it.
Mix up to 50% Compost / Vermicompost in the soil mix for giving needed Nitrogen for good growth of Green Lettuce Rapid Grand leaves.
Sand / Perlite and Vermiculite / Cocopeat can be added to the soil to improve its drainage and moisture holding capacity
To Direct Sow Green Lettuce Rapid Grand or Transplant it
Green Lettuce Rapid Grand can be directly sown in soil bed and garden pots or its seedling can be raised for transplanting later on in favorable weather conditions.
How to plant Green Lettuce Rapid Grand
Sow the Green Lettuce Rapid Grand seeds at ¼ inch dept.
- Dense planting can be used if you want to harvest baby leaves.
- Plant seeds in holes one inch apart. Put two seeds per hole and retain one healthy seedling per hole.
For Full green Leaves
- If you want to harvest fully grown leaves keep the seed holes 5- 6 inches apart.
In Soil Bed
- If you are growing it in soil bed, sow seeds in 1 feet row.
- The distance between seed holes should be 6 inches.
- Sow two seed per hole and retain one healthy sapling out of two after the germination.
In Garden Pot
- Grow one Green Lettuce Rapid Grand plant per 6 to 8 inch pot.
- Sow 2 seeds per hole and retain one healthy sapling out of two after germination.
How to Fertilize the Green Lettuce Rapid Grand
Green Lettuce Rapid Grand needs nitrogen to grow healthy leaves. Mix up to 50% compost / Vermicompost in the soil mix and second dose of compost can be given after 3- 4 week of planting.
How to water the Green Lettuce Rapid Grand
- Green Lettuce Rapid Grand needs constant moisture. Follow a regular watering schedule to keep the soil moistened.
- In hot weather were temperature is more than ideal temperature for Green Lettuce Rapid Grand, mulch the soil bed / pot to keep the soil temperature under ideal temperature.
How to Harvest Green Lettuce Rapid Grand
You can harvest outer leaves of Green Lettuce Rapid Grand leaving the baby leaves which can be harvested later on as they grow big.
For densely planted Green Lettuce Rapid Grand
- For densely planted Green Lettuce Rapid Grand in, harvest the outer leaves as they grow to the size of 1 to 3 inches.
- Harvesting of baby leaves should be done every few days else plant will wilt in need of sunlight, air and nutrients.